Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The latest books...

Let's see if I can remember all the books I've read recently

The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Great book! I really liked this book about a bunch of black maids in the South about the time the civil rights movement started to gain some traction. It was well written and a very good read. Very thought-provoking.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore. Almost a great book. I don't like anti-heroes though. The heroine does well until she knowingly and consciously makes a terrible mistake. I don't like that she has no repercussions from her bad decision and it is rationalized away. (No questions as to where the author stands on that issue) Lots of good but the bad really spoiled it for me.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. (did I already do this one?) good book, fun read.

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons. I'm a little bit tired of reading books about someone's growing up life where they were poor/beaten/disadvantaged/etc. Doesn't anyone have a normal healthy childhood? Putting that aside, it was a good book.

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. Don't know if it has any relation whatsoever to the Leviathan by Hobbes. Interesting read. Scott Westerfeld always has kind of some quirky ideas that are interesting to explore. (He wrote the Uglies/Pretties series)

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. Fluff. Definately a chick book and a bit too romantic for my taste but kind of interesting in that she kind of exploits the whole small-town legends idea.

I know I read another one...

No comments:

Post a Comment